Whether a motherboard has Bluetooth functionality can vary greatly. Some motherboards have built-in Bluetooth, while others require additional hardware or adapters in order to access its features.
Generally speaking, if a motherboard has a USB port available, then Bluetooth may be able to be added via an external adapter.
Besides, if the motherboard has an onboard WIFI system then chances are that it should also come with an accompanying Bluetooth chip too.
It is always best to check the manufacturer’s technical specs before purchase so that you can determine whether or not you will need additional equipment in order to access all of its features.
Therefore, In this article, I’ll explain the importance of checking motherboard specs and how to determine if a given motherboard supports Bluetooth.
The most important thing when considering a new motherboard is to read through all of the specifications thoroughly. By doing this, you will be able to determine whether or not it has built-in Bluetooth capabilities.
Quick Facts: Yes, motherboards now have the ability to include Bluetooth technology. As advances in technology continually push us forward, motherboards are becoming more and more efficient in their capabilities.
How to check if your pc or motherboard has Bluetooth?
If you’ve been wondering if your PC or motherboard has Bluetooth, then you have come to the right place. Therefore, below I’ve listed several methods to determine whether or not your device has Bluetooth capabilities.
Method 1: Check Your Device Documentation
To find out if your PC or motherboard is equipped with Bluetooth, the first thing you should do is consult its documentation.
Your device may have come with a user manual that outlines all of its features, including any installed software and hardware components. This can be an invaluable resource for checking which devices are compatible with your computer.
So you should make sure to keep it handy in case you ever need to refer back to it.
Method 2: Check Your Computer’s Settings
To start your search, take a peek at the System Information window on your PC.
- To access this, simply right-click on This PC and select Properties > Device Manager.
- Once here, you can expand the list of devices and check if there is a “Bluetooth” option available.
If you don’t find a Bluetooth option here, you can try running the Device Manager command.
- To do this, press Windows Key + R and type devmgmt.msc in the dialog box that appears.
- This will open up the Device Manager window, where you can once again check for any Bluetooth devices listed there.
Method 3: Use Third-Party Software
If neither of these methods works for you, then don’t worry – there is still one more way to determine whether or not your PC has Bluetooth capabilities.
- You can use third-party software such as Speccy (for Windows) or System Profiler (for Mac).
- Both of these programs will provide detailed information about the hardware and software components installed on your computer including any installed Bluetooth devices.
- All you need to do is download the program and run a scan; once the scan is completed, it will provide a full report on all of the devices connected to your system.
How do I add Bluetooth to my motherboard?
Adding Bluetooth functionality to your motherboard can be done through a few different methods. Here are three common ways to add Bluetooth to your motherboard:
USB Bluetooth Adapter:
- The easiest and most cost-effective methods is to use a USB Bluetooth adapter. These adapters are small, plug into a USB port on your computer, and provide Bluetooth functionality.
- Simply plug the USB Bluetooth adapter into an available USB port on your computer, and it should be automatically recognized and installed by your operating system.
- This method is suitable for desktops and laptops alike. However, keep in mind that it adds a small device externally, which may not be ideal for those seeking a more integrated solution.
PCIe Bluetooth Card:
- If you have an available PCIe slot on your motherboard, you can add Bluetooth functionality by installing a PCIe Bluetooth card.
- Purchase a PCIe Bluetooth card that is compatible with your motherboard and operating system.
- Power off your computer, insert the PCIe Bluetooth card into an available PCIe slot on your motherboard, and power the system back on.
- Install any necessary drivers or software that come with the Bluetooth card.
Motherboard with Built-in Bluetooth:
- Some motherboards come with built-in Bluetooth capabilities. If your motherboard supports it, this is the most integrated and seamless option.
- Check your motherboard’s specifications to see if it has onboard Bluetooth. If it does, you may need to enable it in the BIOS/UEFI settings.
- Install any necessary drivers or software that may be required for Bluetooth functionality.
Can you use Bluetooth to connect to other devices on your PC?
Yes, you can use Bluetooth to connect your PC with other devices. To do that, you will need a Bluetooth adapter for your computer. A Bluetooth adapter will allow the connection of wireless peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and speakers to your computer. Once connected, these devices can share data between each other through the wireless connection.
In order to set up a Bluetooth connection on a Windows 10 laptop or desktop computer:
- Go to Settings -> Devices -> Add Device and select “Bluetooth” from the list of available options. This should show all nearby compatible device that are broadcasting their presence via Bluetooth signals.
- Select the device that you would like to connect and click on ‘Pair’ button when prompted on the screen (both the computers in this case). A PIN may be generated if one is required for pairing devices over Bluetooth. Enter it carefully, If correct pin is entered then both machines will recognize each other as partners.
- Once paired successfully, you should be able to see both PCs listed under “Bluetooth & Other Devices” section in settings window (this feature was previously known as “Devices & Printers”). Now go ahead and start using file transfers wirelessly over this new secured connection.
Congrats, You have now successfully connected two computers or devices using Bluetooth. Enjoy your new wireless connection.
Is it worth it to add Bluetooth to my motherboard?
Bluetooth is one of the most useful pieces of technology ever invented.
It can seamlessly connect your computer to a huge selection of peripherals, from wireless mice and keyboards to gamepads and speakers.
Adding a Bluetooth card to your motherboard can therefore potentially save you money in the long run as you won’t have to buy a bunch of wired devices.
Though, it eliminates the need for cords and wires cluttering up your workspace, making it more ergonomic and more aesthetically pleasing.
So if you’re planning to use any wireless peripherals such as headphones or controllers, then spending the extra few dollars for adding Bluetooth connectivity to your motherboard may be worth it in the end.
At the end, the answer to whether motherboards have Bluetooth is still both yes and no. It all depends on the type of motherboard you are using.
The majority of modern motherboards such as those found in desktop, laptop and gaming computers do indeed come with integrated Bluetooth capabilities, while older versions will not have this technology built-in.
This can be taken care of by purchasing a Bluetooth low-energy USB dongle that can be plugged into any available USB port, allowing for wireless pairing with other compatible devices without any additional drivers or software requirements.
However, it’s important to note that an add-on like this may not provide the same performance quality as a built-in chip would.